I've said it before. The state and church call two very different things by the same name......
Paul (Moderators; 48936)
Posted on: 08-02-2012 18:06.
Client: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_8) AppleWebKit/536.25 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Safari/536.25
Message views: 43 (Score: 0)
Does a religious person officiate "marriages" at the county courthouse?
And by the same token, can the church issue a marriage license and change your name?
A "marriage" is a union of two people to both church and state, but that's where the commonality ends. To the church, "marriage" is a sacred union between two people, but the state doesn't care about your religious ceremony; to the government, "marriage" is a chance to collect a fee from you, set up your legal benefits, change your name, etc.
I can't believe how this obvious point is so often missed.
So I'm fine with "civil unions" as long as that's what everyone's "union" is called. If the church wants to keep using the same name that the state uses for something different, then the butthurt is on them.
If there's anything you want
Come on back, 'cause it's all still here
I'll be in the backroom drinkin' my half of the beer
- Since chick-fil-et doesn't discriminate on service or hiring, what's the current brouhaha - Sydwyndir, 08-01-2012 22:48 (Views: 71; Replies: 48)
- What's Chick-Fil-A anyway? Sounds nasty. - P. Briscoe, 08-05-2012 04:25 (Views: 33)
- I am sorry if I started a shitstorm over this, - Sydwyndir, 08-02-2012 20:02 (Views: 45)
- Wow, that got out of hand quickly. Congressional candidate says that... - Paul, 08-02-2012 02:12 (Views: 57)
- Well, it could be a lot of disinformation... - Mr. Spork, 08-02-2012 01:53 (Views: 47)
- Media trying to pad the daily broadcasts with as little economic news as possible. That's what's going on. [nt] - SlartiBartFast, 08-01-2012 23:43 (Views: 41)
- One of their higher ups made anti-gay statements - Sycraft, 08-01-2012 22:52 (Views: 55)
- The franchise in Nashua, New Hampshire ... - Catfish, 08-01-2012 22:51 (Views: 44)
You do not have the required security level to post to this thread.
Report a Bug!